NEW HIRE PAPERWORK
Newly hired students must complete the following paperwork within 3 days of starting a new position (it may also be completed prior to starting work). Failure to complete the paperwork within 3 days of starting will result in termination - as mandated by federal law.
FORM 1: The I-9
Section 1 of the I-9 can be completed immediately. Section 2 must be completed in-person with a official University representative. The new hire must bring original identification. Section 2 must be completed within 3 days of the employment start date.
FORM 2: W-4 (both state and federal)
To complete this section, the new hire will login to eBiz, the employee management system for UNI. Once logged in, select "UNI Student Employee Self Services" and then "W-4 Form Withholding Allowance." Complete both the federal and state W-4 tax forms. If you do not complete your W-4 forms, your withholding will default to single with no other adjustments. This may result in a higher tax liability. For insight into completing the W-4, read the IRS FAQ or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
FORM 3: Direct Deposit
In accordance with Federal law, all new hires must have their identification verified in-person with original documentation (photocopies and pictures are not allowed). New hire employees must be verified using the following documentation: A or B+C.
1) New Hire | 102 Gilchrist Hall
The new hire will bring identification [A or B+C] to 102 Gilchrist Hall between the hours of 8:00-4:30, Monday through Friday. If you need a replacement Social Security Card, you may request one and bring the receipt to Career Services to begin work.
2) University Housing & Dining - Only
Please bring your identification [A or B+C] to one of the following staff members:
- Piazza Dining, Jeff Ager
- 23rd Street Market, Chris Kenaga
- General in the Main Office of Redeker, Carol Fletcher or Karen Paulsen
3) ALL International Students
Prior to completing the I-9, please meet with Cheryl Klahsen in Payroll - 103 Gilchrist to complete hiring paperwork. Present a VISA, Passport, I-94, I-20, DS2019, and I-797.
WELCOME TO THE TEAM!
Welcome to the UNI Team! Below are a few resources you may find helpful. If you have any questions, contact UNI Career Services at 319-273-6857 or email@example.com.
- COVID-19 Sick & Family Leave Presentation
- Remote Work Ideas for Employees
- IDPH: When to Quarantine
- CDC Quarantine Information
Step 1: Post the Job to the UNI Job Board
Step 2: Interview and select a candidate
Step 3: Submit a SEAF [new user]
Step 4: Send the student to Career Services with:
(see note below for international students)
- Section 1 of I-9 | Admin
- Documentation to Finish I-9
- Banking Information for Direct Deposit
NOTES ABOUT INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS
- Prior to completing section I of the I-9, the international student new hire will need to meet with Cheryl Klahsen in Payroll - 103 Gilchrist. The student will need to present a VISA, Passport, I-94, I-20, DS2019, and I-797.
- By US federal law, international students are limited to 20 hours of work per week during the academic term and 40 hours per week during summer.
SAMPLES & BEST PRACTICES